Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Barbie Style Glam Vacation (a.k.a. Barbie Style Resort) Grace

From the promo pictures, I have decided that this doll is a must-have for me. We'll go to the why's later but like most things, let's start with the name. Others call this wave as the Barbie Style Resort but the box clearly says it is Barbie Style Glam Vacation. The price tag at the back of the box agrees with the former. To keep it simple, let's just call her Grace.




Of the three dolls, I just wanted Grace. I initially like the hat on Barbie and Summer's outfit but the hat seemed very heavy and shiny in person while the pants are shiny, too.




Style can be timeless but timing factors in fashion and demand. Dolls should be made available while they are hot (or "trending" in today's words). I'm glad that it was the case for this doll. Usually, the dolls are released locally 6 months to over a year after it was popular in social media. They are passé by that time.

A proper and timely distribution means that the manufacturer and distributor know how to listen and cater to their client. And clients like me will continue to support them because of that. I'm done with jumping through hoops (like buying online) just to get a doll. If a toy company doesn't know how to make their toys reach me on time, my money won't reach them either. This doll passed the distribution criteria and that is one of the reasons why I'm glad to talk about this doll.

Another reason is the price. These are being sold at the same price as the stiff Fashionista dolls (which have become peg warmers and are now being sold at 30% off the original price in some stores). The fully articulated Barbie Style dolls are being sold over twice as much as this doll so they will be peg warmers as well, rightfully. These Glam Vacation dolls are reasonably priced and that is why they get my support unlike other Barbie dolls.

I also like Grace's style. It's a good idea that she can mix and match outfits later on. Blue is my favorite color but the main reason why I must have this doll is the strappy gladiator sandals.  Since I'm too lazy to create something like those, I opt to buy them. Not only is this doll freed from the high heels which most feminist see as a some sort of binding (like fashion doll collectors really care about that), dolls can now wear fashionable flat foot wear. Mattel should recreate them in different natural colors.


Grace compared to a clone Teresa head on a Nikki body

Speaking of colors, this Grace doll comes in a new (relative to the last year's Fashionista, Life in the dream house and Barbie style dolls) skin tone. Grace is slightly darker than Nikki. New skin tones will be added to the playline lineup as well but most of them come in stiff bodies.

As expected, flat footed Grace is shorter than the dolls with arched feet. The new foot design prevents her from wearing a lot of Barbie shoes. It also makes her shorter than other dolls.


There are some little details that I don't like about the doll. The lack of articulation (on the bust, ankle and knees) is one. The head is also little wobbly on mine. There's a little paint splatter on the bag. All of these I can take as long as there's a lot of saving grace.

Grace  typically uses the Mbili face mold. This Grace doll looks like she is still using the Mbili mold but inspecting the nape reveals that it is a new mold patented in 2011. The Mbili mold was patented in 2001.

Personally, I don't see any difference between the two, even in the size. I initially thought that Grace's head is bloated like the rest of the playline dolls but it is really nice to find out that I don't have to shrink her head. Her eyes needs to be smaller so she will be repainted later.

3 comments:

Pullip Arch said...

I have her minus the outfit. I so wanna have the white gladiator sandals too. Hindi ko lang feel masyado yung curls ng hair nya. Pero I like yung highlights.

Troy said...

The Resort line has a pull to it, so I did pick them up. To me, the price points for the three lines (Fashionistas with no extra articulation, the ones with articulation in the elbows/wrists, and the ones with full articulation) seem off. I still prefer the fully articulated dolls, which are only $20 around here. The middle line was only about $2 less, which didn't seem right for no articulation in the knees or ankles. I'm reconsidering buying any new Barbies that aren't fully articulated, no matter how pretty they are.

However, I was so glad that they introduced Grace to the main Barbie family that I picked up the Fashionista one, too. We need to encourage having dolls that represent racial variety. It looks like the new lines will continue down that path.

By the way, I like the large Resort hat. It is a bit heavy, but there is something really nice about it. :-)

Niel said...

@Pullip Arch, I hope you got the sandals with the doll, at least.

@Troy, I didn't know that the pricing was so different there from here. That's interesting. It makes me think that pricing is arbitrary or at least profit driven. We'll see about that.

I like the hat, too, but then I have to think how often I'll be using it. I have a number of hats, although not as nice as the resort hat. I don't usually use them. :)