Monday, March 12, 2018

Hasbro and Playkit versus Mattel and Richprime (or was it Richwell)

A lot of new toys have been widely made available for the past two weekends. Two weeks ago, the Avengers: Infinity War (AIW) toys from Hasbro (locally distributed by Playkit) landed on the local toy shelves. This was almost at the same time as the international release, if not earlier. Last weekend, Mattel (with the help of local distributor Richprime aka Richwell), partially released locally dolls that were already available in the US since last year.

The first difference between Playkit and Richprime is the release of the toys. The toy manufacturers Hasbro and Mattel may have a say in the schedule. Hasbro has to time the release with the hype of the movie. Mattel on the other hand has no movie schedule to consider. Social media showed in other countries, the new (by "new", I mean released in the US last year) Barbie dolls have been just released recently as well, giving the impression that the release schedule could be coordinated by the toy manufacturer. The doll release could have been timed with a fictional birthday.

All (at least all that I'm interested in) AIW toys from Hasbro toys were made available locally. That included Black characters like Falcon. Mattel on the other hand failed again to include a lot of the Black dolls. Mattel is soooo... whatever!

I used to have one major complaint with Hasbro. It's not having enough basic/playline female characters in their toy line. It used to be impossible to complete the roster of a team. While it still is impossible to assemble the Guardians of the Galaxy movie lineup in their Titan Hero Series, there have been more females characters in the basic line. This excited me, so I got the following for myself:


The 6-inch basic Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Gamora action dolls (above) are sold by Hasbro for US$9.99 each. The 12-inch Titan Hero Scarlet Witch and Black Widow shown below also cost US$9.99 each.  Locally, they can be purchased for PhP599.75 each.


Mattel also offers dolls for US$9.99, like the stiff Barbie Fashionista, but they come at a higher price locally (PhP999.75 or PhP799.75 when discounted). Richprime is clearly charging more compared to Playkit even if their discounted price is compare to Playkit's regular price. This makes the discount on the new dolls feels like a scam, to be honest. Normally, I would wait for a the discount to be offered before I buy a Barbie but I realized now that maybe I should rethink my strategy.

While waiting for a discount used to be a good idea, Richprime can really test your patience. They usually offer discounts after year has passed since the initial release and revert to the prices even if the dolls didn't sell at lower prices. I must admit I was weak last weekend and gave in to the delusion. I bought the Boho Glam Fashionista and the Dancer doll with the curvy made-to-move body.



Mattel prices each of the dolls at US$14.99. Richprime charges PhP1299.75 for each. It is consistent with Richprime's suspicious conversion rate. Playkit has a more reasonable price conversion.

There are other toys being distributed by Playkit and Richprime. The toys posted here are just samples. We can't be sure if Richprime is better in some other way compare to Playkit. I did not reach out to Richprime or Mattel to ask why they have made such distribution and pricing decisions as I don't feel it's my business. I'm just a consumer reacting and adjust to what they put out. Hasbro has distribution problems as well.

One adjustment is finding other sources for the toys I want. There are online sellers and specialty stores that are not connected to Playkit or Richprime. Those are where I get my other recent toy haul from.



The comics version of the Guardians of the Galaxy was not released in local toy stores. I was lucky to find this at a specialty shop.


This Wonder Woman doll is not from Mattel. I don't know if the original was made available locally. I did saw some in Greenhills but I opted to skip buying. Good thing I found a clone for sale at Facebook. Sure, it has a huge bald spot but it's nothing a makeover won't fix.

No comments: